PHP web frameworks have an ecosystem of their own in the world of web development, ranging from small static websites to large scale complex enterprise content management systems.
Frameworks offer ready to use components, libraries, enforce proven architecture, ensure separation of model, view and controller logic (MVC paradigm), abstract you away from the low level security concerns, enforce file and code structure, and the list is quite long. In short, PHP frameworks make web development fun and make you more productive.
Uses of PHP Web Framework
When we look at modern web development needs, the key to success is speed development with well organized, reusable and maintainable code, all the while ensuring scalability. The best way to achieve this is by using an existing, proven PHP framework.
Top 6 Best PHP Frameworks for 2015 :
- Laravel – Laravel is a PHP web application framework with expressive, elegant syntax, aiming to take the pain out of web development by easing common tasks, such as authentication, routing, sessions and caching
- Phalcon – Phalcon is a PHP 5 framework that is implemented as a C extension to offer lower resource consumption and high performance.
- Yii Framework – Yii is a high-performance PHP framework which has powerful caching support and is explicitly designed to work efficiently with AJAX
- Codeigniter – CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a small footprint, built for those who required a simple, yet elegant toolkit to build fully-featured web applications.
- CakePHP 3.0 – CakePHP enables you to build web applications faster, using code generation features to rapidly build prototypes.
- Zend – Zend Framework 2 is an open-source framework for developing web applications, using object-oriented code.
Frameworks which become Wild in Current days :
Selecting the right framework, however, can be challenging at times. In an attempt to make the selection process a little easier, we have analyzed most of the PHP frameworks out there in the wild and listed below the 8 best.
Symfony – Symfony is a PHP framework to speed up the creation and maintenance of your web applications.
Slim – Slim is an open source, sophisticated micro framework that comes with URL routing and best in class middleware architecture. It also supports encrypted cookies, flash messages, page templates and caching apart from many other features.
FuelPHP – FuelPHP is a simple, flexible MVC PHP 5.3+ framework, that was designed from the ground up to offer full support for HMVC as part of its architecture
Aura – Aura provides clean, fully decoupled libraries and independent libraries for PHP 5.4+ that can be used in any database, alone, in concert with each other, or into a full-stack framework of their own.
Fat-Free – Fat-Free is a powerful, easy-to-use PHP micro-framework to help build dynamic and robust web applications. It’s condensed into a single file (only 60kb), to give you a solid foundation and mature base code
PHP-MVC(Model View Controller) – PHP-MVC is an extremely simple but effective Model-View-Controller application structure which is clean, easy to learn, highly documented and features a self-explaining structure and optional Composer integration
Kohana – Kohana is a HMVC PHP5 framework that provides a rich set of common components to build web applications quickly, including translation tools, database access, code profiling, encryption, validation and lots more
Slim – Slim is a micro PHP framework to help you write simple, yet powerful web application and APIs, featuring standard and custom HTTP methods, route parameters, page templates and route redirects.
Phenomenon of PHP frameworks is very old but since the overall web development landscape is fast changing and so are the frameworks. PHP frameworks have always been the default choice of developers for creating complex web applications, specifically large scale open source projects, and enterprise CMS and CRM systems.